Employment at Monteverde Friends School
(Scroll down for current job openings) Our teachers are highly committed and very experienced, and open to new places as well as new ways of thinking. They love their students, and they work well together. Our small classes provide for a close connection between teachers and their students. Strong relationships with colleagues, as well as friendships and collaboration with students and parents, create a deep sense of community for our faculty.
We look for teachers who are bilingual, meaning that they can both speak and read in Spanish and English. While we require that teachers whose native language is English teach in English, Spanish is necessary to communicate with other faculty members, parents and members of the community. Spanish classes require faculty who speak Spanish as their native language.
We give preference to candidates who:
- are bilingual (Spanish and English)
- have experience teaching in the content areas and grade levels that they would be teaching at Monteverde Friends School
- are willing to commit for at least two years
- are Quaker or who strongly support our statement of Vision, Mission and Philosophy
- have experience or strong desire to work with a wide range of students
- are willing to work collaboratively with colleagues
- have experience working in a bilingual school setting
- have experience living in a Spanish-speaking country
- have experience living in a rural community in a developing country
While teaching here, many teachers take the opportunity to improve their Spanish as well as to develop a greater understanding of Costa Rican culture. On long weekends and during vacations, teachers may explore what Costa Rica has to offer.
Anticipated Job Openings
We currently have an opening for the high-school English/Social Studies teacher, to be filled as soon as possible (starting August 1). Please contact email@example.com for details.
We generally post positions for the new school year about February, but check here intermittently (and watch for announcements on our Facebook page) for other openings.
To see the amazing team you would be working with, check out teacher bios.
We are always looking for volunteers to help in many aspects of our school. If you are interested in volunteering, please read about our program for Visiting Volunteers. Volunteers must be 20 years of age because of the age of our students.
Monteverde Friends School is also a great place to create an internship experience to enhance your education program. Read more here.