Gap Year in Costa Rica
Thinking of gifting yourself with a year off (“gap year”) after high school, and want a supportive environment to learn about culture, language, service and maybe brush up on some academics? Need to build up that resume for college or work? Students graduating from grade 12 are welcome to spend one semester or a full year at Monteverde Friends School in Costa Rica.
Be part of a dynamic mix of local and international students, while learning and contributing to a beautiful culture and community. For each student, we provide supervision/guidance to ensure a positive experience and regular communication with parents/family, and customize your program to suit your specific needs and interests:
- Audit the classes that interest you or help you prepare for college.
- Contribute to the community and explore your interests through service projects and volunteering. Maintain trails in the cloud forest reserve, tutor English for young students, participate in research on biodiversity… the possibilities are endless depending on your skills and interest.
- Learn or improve your Spanish with daily language classes (usually 2-4 students per class, with professional SSL teachers)
- Enjoy living with a local family though our homestay program
- Receive a certificate to bolster your resume for college, scholarships and jobs
- Make lifelong friends though inclusion in the grade 12 homeroom, classes, trips and activities, and your homestay family
- Visit nearby volcanoes, beaches and cloud forest
- Trips to Nicaragua or Panama to renew your visa
Cost: $6,000 per semester, includes:
- Tuition to audit as many courses as you wish, plus full inclusion as a classmate with the grade 12 class for trips, homeroom, special events…
- Spanish Second Language, average 10 hours per week
- Homestay – private room in the home of a school family, with 3 home-cooked meals/day
Please contact us for more information and to start custom designing the program that works for you.