Our students aren’t just smart – they’re wildly creative. And, even more important, they’re BRAVE. They stand up in front of their peers and community and share themselves, and are met with unconditional support and love. That’s one of the defining characteristics of Monteverde – we are ready to celebrate whatever gift you have to share, and help you nurture that spark that makes you special. Here are some examples from over the past year:
Grade 11/12 Poetry: Last year, our then-Humanities-teacher (now Head of School) Sue Gabrielson lovingly and unyieldingly helped her students to find their inner voice through poetry, then share it in front of the whole school and also a Poetry Slam coffee house. Click below to see videos of:
- Cristina Herera poem (English)
- Francis Guindon poem
- Grace Gabrielson poem
- Josue Picado Navarro poem
- Jesemy poem
- Liam Hamilton poem
- Sierra poem
- Cristina poem #2 (Spanish)
Inspired by a visiting poet from Somalia, two of our students spontaneously stood up and shared original works of poetry with the whole upper school recently. Click here to read the poems by Fio and Galen.
Coffee Houses are, of course, a prime chance to strut one’s stuff. Some examples you can enjoy again include:
- This year’s Music Club, led by Gap Year student Augusta, came together to share this Shaun Mendes song
- Co-Director Rick Juliusson shared an original spoof called “Modern Monteverdian“
- Galen (grade 10) shared this original song at in a recent coffee house:
- Melanie (teacher) coordinated a fun group of students to re-create THRILLER as a coffee house flash mob
We also are currently enjoying an international family that includes a poetry professor. Please enjoy his incredible rendition of the Monteverde rain.
People often come to Monteverde to enjoy the beautiful nature, and deservedly so. But the rich artistic culture and support for bringing one’s inner life to the stage is an equally breathtaking part of life here.